Monday, February 29, 2016

[MINIDRAMA REVIEW] Splash Splash Love

This was my first time to watch a mini drama. When I heard about Splash Splash Love being on works I automatically added it to my must watch list. I mean, who wouldn't anticipate it when you have Yoon Doojoon and Kim Seulgi together as a couple on screen? I love Doojoon as an idol and that love strengthen more when I watched him as an actor in his most famous role which is Go Dae Young. He is one of those Kpop idols whose acting is not cringeworthy. While Kim Seulgi is charming on her own. The girl is talented as a comedianne, singer and actress. Splash Splash Love contains all of the emotions and humor in its 2-episodes run. Its a must-watch but be warned because you might ask for more.

Splash Splash Love Poster

[SPOILER ALERT!!!]

[PLOT] Splash Splash Love, Pongdang Pongdang Love, MBC Minidrama 2015

Dan Bi (Kim Seulgi) is a highschool senior who is not that good at studying. On the day of the National College Entrance Exam, Dan Bi got worried and became afraid in taking it. Dan Bi decided to run and skip the test while blaming herself as a failure. The rain suddenly poured that day which results to Dan Bi experiencing more anxiety. A noise she heared in a rain puddle attracted Dan Bi. With curiosity, Dan Bi walked closed to the rain puddle which transmitted her to the past. Now, Dan Bi is forced to be in the Joseon Era and must help the then young King Lee Do (Yoon Doojoon)  to make the rain pour in Joseon again.


Splash Splash Love Teaser

I watched Splash Splash Love with much anticipation. Yoon Doojoon and Kim Seulgi are just oozing with charisma together. I actually can't believe that Kim Seulgi is still young. Shes a '91 liner. When I first watched her in Flower Boy Next Door I thought she was in her mid 20s that year. Well, she was a scene stealer in that drama and the character that she plays there was very stressed out so its natural to think that she was older than her actual age. Here in Splash Splash Love, Kim Seulgi played the role of a highschooler effectively.

On the other hand, I don't know what is the actual tone of acting for a saeguk drama so I can't judge Doojoon's acting that much. But I never felt that he was cringeworthy or anything. He did a great job playing the role of a king. With the drama's story, I was attracted with what happened in Korea's history so I searched about it. 

Lee Do or famously known as Sejong the Great was the one who invented Hangul, the Korean alphabet. In his reign, a lot of technology advancement was achieved. He was the one who supported the works of Jang Yeong Shil which most famous inventions and designs are the water clock, sundial and rain gauge. Despite Jang Yeong Shil social status being in the lowest rank, he was able to work with his creative mind with the help and funding of Sejong the Great. These events in the history was tackled in the drama with just enough humor and carefulness.

You see, after reading the Joseon history, the events on Splash Splash Love actually made sense to me. So, I recommend that you read some of the scripts too. But read it after watching the drama for a little surprise. On the other hand, in the romance department, the scenes were wholesomely made. Its heartwarming, charming and it will make you smile. I was just a little frustrated because I know that all of it will just last in 2 episodes. How I wish that this was actually a weekday drama...

Yoon Doojoon and Kim Seulgi's humor and acting matched so well I hope to see them act together in the future. Splash Splash Love also actually aired as a 10 part web drama in the Naver platform and it now surpassed a million view. Just imagine that being a weekday drama. Anyways, I hope to see these two cuties again together in the future. Perhaps in Let's Eat Season 3? Oh Baek Sooji sorry! But if that happens I am in! :)










No comments:

Post a Comment