Monday, February 22, 2016

[MANGA REVIEW] Fruits Basket, フルーツバスケット

Fruits Basket is story that is a part of me. I remember watching the anime adaptation and boy was I addicted. That was when I was grade school I think. You see, before my love in Kpop and Kdrama, I was first an anime addict. I think most kids my age was. Its just a pity that the anime adaptation ended without clear conclusions. So, with my curious heart I managed to finish reading the original which is the manga. I promise you, you would love reading it...


[SPOILER ALER!!!]

[Fruits Basket,  フルーツバスケット Plot]

Tohru Honda is a highschool student whose father and mother already passed away. Tohru after the accident of her mother, decided to live with her grandfather and auntie and uncle's house. But then, with a renovation plan underway and the atmosphere in her relatives' house seem to darken with her stay, Tohru decided to leave promising her grandfather that she has other place to go. Tohru without her grandfather knowing decided to just live and build a tent in a forest. One day, in her way to school Tohru spotted an ancestral house which is owned by the Sohma's. Living in the house is Shigure Sohma, a writer. Yuki Sohma, a popular guy in Tohru's school and Kyo Sohma, a guy who is also her age has a bit of a temper. Tohru not knowing that the Sohma's owned the forest where her tent is got into an accident. With a kind heart, the Sohma's adopted Tohru to live with them instead. But, Tohru found a secret that the Sohma are hiding all these years. Tohru began protecting their secret and learned to keep the Sohma's as her new family.

Fruits Basket was written back in 1998 and finished its run in the year 2006. The story was written by mangaka Natsuki Takaya. It is her most famous publication. Fruits Basket is considered one of the best selling mangas in the world. The story appeals with children, teenager and even young at hearts. I super admire Japanese writers with their solid character and story development. Just the fact that Natsuki-san thought about playing with Chinese Zodiac and putting each of the qualities in a manga character is pure imagination and talent. 

Back when I was in grade school I remember that the anime was being shown during weekends. The time slot was in the early morning so I used to wake up early just to watch it. I was addicted. I was broken hearted when that local TV network didn't even finished airing all the episodes which I just found out because of the internet. 

Gladly I remember to search about Fruits Basket again last year. I finished watching all the episodes of the anime and then found myself looking for more. So, I started reading the manga and with just a week I finished the story. Just as I thought I still have a moving on problem.

I always have that in every book and every story that I read or watch. The sense of not letting go of something I truly learned to be into. The story is just so warm, so romantic, so nostalgic. Fruits Basket is a story that will always have a place in my heart. Tohru is a lovable character. She is not that strong in the first part but gradually with her sense of protection she made a soft but strong hearted character progression. Shigure on the other hand is a character that blends everything. He is a pervert but he can be quite lovable oftentimes. Yuki is someone who seems so hard to reach but towards the end of the story I was so happy for him. You will know why when you read it. Yuki is a man that you will want to be with in real life. He is so gorgeous, broken and at the same time very dependable. Kyo is a character that is broken hearted which is the reason of his temper. His strong desire of acceptance and love brought freedom to his character. 

I love how the story wrapped up. Every character has their moments and every revelations will give you surprises. The anime and manga has few differences and if you will ask me which is better. For me, it is no doubt the manga. The manga has a lot of things that had me going crazy. 

I support Tohru's choices in love, friendship and family. I think she is one of the few female manga characters that you will find yourself loving without the hint of hate. She is such a sweet heart. I also love the characters of Hatori Sohma, Momiji Sohma, Kisa Sohma to name a few. 

Last 2015, Natsuki Takaya announced that with the released of Fruits Basket Collectors edition is a sequel called Fruits Basket Another which will tackle the story of Sawa, Mutsuki and Hajime. I am reading it now. At first, I can see the resemblance to the original and as I turn pages I finally know why. Its fun so please read it too if you have time.

Lastly, if you wanted to read a romantic comedy manga don't forget to include Fruits Basket in your reading list. I am sure that you will be addicted and finish it in no time. Its a good read and has a beautiful heartwarming story about family, friends and love.









No comments:

Post a Comment