Thursday, February 18, 2016

[FILM REVIEW] COIN LOCKER GIRL aka CHINATOWN, 2015


Coin Locker Girl also known as Chinatown is a 2015 Korean movie that stars Kim Hye Soo and Kim Go Eun. I must admit I watched this because of my curiosity in Kim Go Eun's past works. Fans will know Kim Go Eun as the over-thinker Hong Seol from hit tvN drama Cheese in the Trap whom personalities I can relate so much but I guarantee you that she is different in this film. And what I mean by different is that she's BADDASS!

[SPOILER ALERT!!!]

[Plot] Coin Locker Girl aka Chinatown, 2015 - stars Kim Hye Soo, Kim Go Eun

A baby was abandoned in a coin locker of a train station. A beggar took the baby who was in fact a girl and was named Il-Young (Kim Go Eun). After some years, Il-Young with some other abandoned children were sold to a loan shark and organ traficking group from Chinatown. The organization was headed by a so-called Mother (Kim Hye Soo). Il-Young who is now 18 years of age grew up as a tomboyish and courageous woman. With this, she gained the trust of Mother and did tasks for her. One day, as per Mother's instruction, Il-Young went to a house of a debtor but instead met the son's debtor (Park Bo Gum). Their meeting will eventually open Il-Young's mind to new experiences but then little as she knows Mother is on watch of her every move.


Coin Locker Girl aka Chinatown 2015 Trailer

Korean films especially those action and thrilling ones can be quite gross with all the blood and killings. But its a good thing that I am not allergic with those kinds of scenes so I still managed to finish this movie. I haven't watched Kim Hye Soo's past works so I have to Google her first. Then, I found out she is actually an award winning actress and she is glamourous with her outfits and appearance so her portrayal of Mother is something new for her. I love actresses that loves portraying challenging characters.

Just like what I said, if you just know Kim Go-Eun as the curly college girlfriend of Yoo Jung sunbae in Cheese well you are definitely missing a lot of things. I looove her appearance in this movie. I like baddass characters for women like the james bond type or the rebel type of roles. And to warn you, girl can really smoke, literally! 

For me, Kim Go Eun just cemented her talent with her portrayal of Il-Young. What I just don't like is that Kim Go Eun and Kim Hye Soo's characters talk a little lowly or is it justmy headset that time? I don't know. Park Bo Gum on the other hand is such a cutie here. His character is just a little pitiful with the screentime and all but that's how the story is, so yeah, heh! Go Kyung-Pyo who plays Chi Do, another right hand of Mother is very annoying. I can now relate to some netizen's comment now on how even though the guy is cute he has this certain look on his face that can be easily seen as a bad guy. Still, the guy is cute though.

The story seems to tell me that even in the darkest places you can always find people that you can care about. That no matter how bad you are you can still search for something meaningful. Its just a little bit of sacrifice from here and there but you can still find it if you want to.

Like what I told you the first time, make sure to not eat while watching this movie if you can be easily grossed out with things like blood because there are many scenes like that, just to warn you. This is a great movie to start if you are having an intense girl crush with Kim Go Eun. But make sure that you can watch action movies like this or might as well be prepared and watch it with your close friend. 









1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. This movie is so dark and depressing. Lol

    ReplyDelete